Escambia County EOC http://wuwf.org en More Rain for NWFL, South AL http://wuwf.org/post/more-rain-nwfl-south-al <p>Residents in the Florida Panhandle are bracing for another round of thunderstorms packing heavy rainfall due in by late Friday.</p><p>Originating in the Plains and the Midwest, the storms are due in northwest Florida and south Alabama on Friday, and will stick around for the weekend. Don Shepherd at the National Weather Service in Mobile says there’s a 30% chance of rain Friday, 50/50 that evening, and 60% on Saturday. The chance of showers Sunday is expected to be 40%.</p> Fri, 09 May 2014 15:45:13 +0000 Dave Dunwoody 8861 at http://wuwf.org Pensacola Deals with Massive Storms, Flooding http://wuwf.org/post/pensacola-deals-massive-storms-flooding <p></p><p><span style="line-height: 1.5;">Residents in the Florida Panhandle are assessing the damage from Tuesday’s storms. Action is underway on the local and state levels to deal with more than 20 inches of rainfall in some areas.</span></p> Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:50:42 +0000 Dave Dunwoody 8492 at http://wuwf.org Pensacola Deals with Massive Storms, Flooding UPDATE -- Winter Storm Hits FL Panhandle http://wuwf.org/post/update-winter-storm-hits-fl-panhandle <p>Winter precipitation is moving into the Florida Panhandle, the produce of frigid arctic air and Gulf moisture.</p><p>Escambia County’s Emergency Operations Center activated at midnight. Emergency Management Chief John Dosh says they’re at level-2, with only key agencies on hand for now.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Throughout the year the Escambia EOC conducts table-top exercises to cover a number of scenarios – hurricanes and other natural and man-made disasters. Dosh says those – and the current winter storm development – are all part of what he calls “consequence management.”</p> Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:42:59 +0000 Dave Dunwoody 4474 at http://wuwf.org UPDATE -- Winter Storm Hits FL Panhandle Frozen Pump Causes Oil Spill In Jay http://wuwf.org/post/frozen-pump-causes-oil-spill-jay <p>Cleanup is continuing at a gas plant in Jay, after crude oil spilled from a holding pond early Thursday.</p><p>Three barrels of an oil and water mixture, 126 gallons, were released from the Quantum Resources Management facility. Some of it went into a nearby creek, and then into the Escambia River.&nbsp;</p><p>Brandy Smith at the state Department of Environmental Protection’s Pensacola office says responders got the call around 6:30 Thursday morning.</p> Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:26:35 +0000 Dave Dunwoody 3775 at http://wuwf.org Frozen Pump Causes Oil Spill In Jay Hurricane Season 2013 Ends With Little Action http://wuwf.org/post/hurricane-season-2013-ends-little-action <p>The 2013 Atlantic hurricane season ended Saturday, going out&nbsp;for the Gulf Coast in the same manner as much of its six-month run – rather quietly.</p><p><br />Overall, there were 13 named storms, one more than average for the season. Andrea was the first and only one to make landfall in the U.S. Her tornadoes, heavy rain and flooding in parts of the South caused millions in damage and claimed one life.</p><p><br />The season’s two hurricanes -- Ingrid and Humberto – were the fewest since 1982 and well below the average of six. Neither became major hurricanes of Category-3 or higher.</p> Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:17:46 +0000 Dave Dunwoody 2182 at http://wuwf.org Hurricane Season 2013 Ends With Little Action